You have heard of the song Land of a Thousand Dances? I live in Wisconsin, and during the spring to early fall, especially in Northeastern Wisconsin, I would tend to say that we are a bit unique (at least in the number of States I have lived in – 3) to have the distinction of what I would call the land of 1000 festivals.
Now, I am a Wisconsin transplant, I did not grow up here and I have only lived here for 2.5 years, but I have come to find that I am surrounded in these months with opportunities to party! This may also lead to some of the unfortunate distinction of Wisconsin being names as the #1 alcoholic state in the nation. People here like their beverages I guess. I have seen this somewhat in my experiences…but I digress.
Anywhere that you turn, you will find a festival. Be it any one of the following:
- Pulaski Polka Days in Pulaski, WI
- Summerfest in Milwaukee, WI (Which is touted as the world’s largest recurring music festival)
- The Kites over Lake Michigan Festival in Two Rivers, WI
- Cranberry Festival in Warrens, WI
- The Pumpkin Patch Festival in Egg Harbor, WI
- The Fondue Festival in Fond Du Lac, WI
- The Thirsty Troll Brewfest in Mt. Horeb, WI
- The Whooping Crane Festival in Necedah, WI
- Sputnikfest in Manitowoc, WI
- Frodo Fest in St. Salem, WI;
- Lobsterfest in Manitowoc, WI …or even
- The Blair Cheese Festival in Blair, WI
These are just a few of the festivals listed at Wisconline . There were actually 150 events listed from August to December alone. Now I am not saying that this is a bad thing, far from it. On the contrary, there are festivals for anyone and everyone and it truly brings tourists to the area which is great for the local economy, but some of the festivals as you can see above can at times be silly or even quirky to say the least…and there are many that are simply hometown great events to being the community together as well.
So My Question for the Day?
- What type of festivals do you bring your family to on an annual (or regular) basis?
New to the Divadom?
Please Subscribe to my RSS Feed! Subscribe in a reader
Questions?Drop me a line at email@example.com
I look forward to seeing you back here again!
We have several festivals in our area too (although perhaps not THAT many), but I get burned out since I have had to work at several of them as part of my job for the last 10+ years. It sounds fun, but it is a lot of work and long hours and missed weekends. So, we tend to not go to other festivals much either because it just feels like work instead of fun for me. lol
Some of these festivals look like they’re from an X-Files episode…
Mulder: did you see that troll? I think he’s an alien.
Scully: No mulder, he’s my uncle from New Jersey.