As I mentioned a few weeks ago, we took the kids to visit my family in Florida over Thanksgiving and the trip on the way down was a bit of a nightmare as I blogged about. I have to say though the the trip on the way back was much nicer and I think I know the reason. Besides the fact that I didn’t get soda spilled all over me right before we took off, or that we had much nicer flight attendants than the ones on the way down that could have cared less for their customers, the main reason that it was better was that we had 2 seats together on one side of the aisle and 2 on the other side of the aisle, and lucky us, there was no one in the 3rd seats in our row, so J-Mom and I had lots of room to spread out and the girls could be focussed on by one of us at all times. It also allowed Diva-J the opportunity to move from one side of the aisle to the other without causing too much strife.
So a few things that I learned on this trip that I will take with me:
- Never carry on a soda from McDonalds and ask your five year old to carry it onto the plane…this is a disaster in the making.
- If you have two kids, always try and get two seats together on either side of the aisle. You may have someone sit next to you, but at least you are not having to deal with two kids by yourself in very close quarters.
- Ask for what you need from the flight attendants. Most will do whatever we can to assist you (and to help you get back into their seats).
- Keep the kids moving and try and tire them out so that they’ll take a nap on the plane. This will free you up to read, blog or whatever you wish during your plane trip.
- Bring an arsenal that can be used to keep kids occupied (including snacks, games and the like).
I hope that these hints were somewhat helpful!