The Absolute Essentials
By Dr. Jeffrey Benabio
Men’s skincare is a trending topic. Facebook and Twitter have become great forums for skincare discussion (I’m a regular on Twitter @DermDoc), where guys can crowd-source recommendations and learn about products designed for them. For example, check out @DoveMenCare where conversations range from how family vacations to playing a favorite sport can take a toll on your skin. With a plethora of new men’s products on the market, it’s important to be informed.
- Lather, rinse, simplify! Since some men don’t like using a loofah in the shower, it’s important to simplify the body washing process with a product that lathers easily, like Dove Men+Care Clean Comfort Body and Face Wash. The products are formulated using ultra-light micromoisture technology, a unique gel technology that activates on skin during lather to guard against discomfort.
- Don’t forget your feet. Feet are the most ignored body part in the shower, which can lead to Athlete’s Foot or staph. Prevention can be as easy as rubbing hand sanitizer on feet (especially before hitting a shower at your gym), which will kill off infections. (It’s important to rub in sanitizer for at least sixty seconds or until all the alcohol has fully evaporated for it to really work!)
- It’s not the socks! Men often attribute dry skin on their feet to their socks. Since feet skin is sensitive and prone to dryness, it’s important to use a personal wash that thoroughly cleanses skin while fighting dryness, like Dove Men+Care Body and Face Bar, which contains Dove’s signature ¼ moisturizing cream.
- Locker room care. After sweating and getting tossed around on the field, sports equipment like football helmets will get dirty, which can lead to folliculitis or staph infections. To avoid infection, equipment should be cleaned with rubbing alcohol, a locker staple. And to minimize the items in your gym bag, it’s helpful to use products that serve multiple purposes, like Dove Men+Care Body and Face Wash, the #1 dermatologist recommended brand.
- The absolute essentials. Most men don’t want to spend significant time perfecting their grooming routine; these are the essential products for every guy, in order of importance – antiperspirant/deodorant, shampoo, body wash. You need a moisturizer in the winter, and a sunscreen in the summer. (And all can be found at the local drug store.)