“While I have seen the dark side of divorce, I have also
witnessed the positive outcomes when parents put their
children’s well-being above all else and focus on parenting
that results in children who are confident, resilient,
and ultimately well adjusted.”
—JoAnne Pedro-Carroll, Ph.D
PUTTING CHILDREN FIRST: Proven Parenting Strategies for Helping Children Thrive Through Divorce, by JoAnne Pedro-Carroll, Ph.D., is the first book on divorce to address all the concealed emotions that children feel, but seldom tell their parents. Dr. Pedro-Carroll has spent 30 years working with children and parents before, during, and after divorce, and has invaluable insights from years of research and public and private practices. Dr. Pedro-Carroll expertly weaves proven strategies with real-life situations that many divorcing or divorced parents can identify and understand.
PUTTING CHILDREN FIRST teaches:
- How children express the stress of divorce at various developmental stages and how to understand their words and behaviors
- How to talk to children of different ages about separation, divorce, and family changes in ways that provide reassurance and stability and prepare them for big changes
- How parents can reduce conflict between themselves, promote their own well-being, and protect children from ongoing animosity
- What recent behavioral and brain research contributes to our understanding of how to help children through difficult times
- What emotionally intelligent parenting practices parents can adopt – balancing abiding love and very clear limits on their behavior – to ensure that their own children grow up strong and resilient.
Divorce does not need to be detrimental – in fact, children can flourish with patience, sensitivity, and the sound advice of PUTTING CHILDREN FIRST.
My Take on the Book
The book is ull of great insights into how to best work with children to help them understand what is going on and how to cope with the strain of divorce within a family.
I found the book to e very easy to read and te tips to be easy to implement. The book itself was very straight forward and I liked the flow of the book itself. You can tell that the author truy did listen to children to hear their thoughts, concerns, and fears as you read this book.
Overall, this book will make a great addition for my own library and I am sure it will for you as well. The book goes on sale starting May 4, 2010 nd you can find it then or pre-order it on Amazon!