Monopoly Has A New Skylanders Themed Board Game
After taking over the golden Arches at McDonald’s this past Spring, the Skylanders Giants are now setting up shop on Boardwalk and Park Place with the first-ever exclusive Skylanders™ Monopoly® board game. Now your favorite characters from the $1 billion, award-winning kids franchise, including KAOS and Chompie, are taking over America’s classic property-trading game but with all-new Skylands locations, tokens and game pieces!
Produced by USAopoly, under license from Hasbro, and in conjunction with Activision, Skylanders™ Monopoly® let’s players vie for control of coveted real estate, allowing them to buy, sell and trade 22 newly discovered Skylands locations for supreme real estate rule over the board – set to the backdrop of the recognized traditional gameplay. Players buy, sell and trade the likes of Stealth Elf’s Ninja Dojo, Trigger Happy’s Bank Vault and Spyro’s Chompy Diner while steering clear of Auric’s Traveling Store Taxes and Persephone’s Gem Shop Tax as they battle for Thumpback’s Thundering Tide Pool and Zap’s Lightning Race Track (prime properties traditionally occupied by Boardwalk and Park Place).
- Custom Skylanders-Licensed Design: The Monopoly®: Skylanders™ box top and game board showcase custom art featuring the most popular Skylanders™ characters, so fans can jump right into the world of Skylands.
- Familiar Monopoly Gameplay: Players will buy, sell and trade popular locations based on characters in the world of Skylanders™.
- Re-imagined Locations and Game Pieces: The game board includes 22 “newly discovered” Skylands locations such as Stealth Elf’s Ninja Dojo, Chop Chop’s Boneyard, and Trigger Happy’s Bank Vault, while other classic features such as metal game tokens, the Community Chest and Chance cards have all been reimagined for the fast-paced, high stakes world of Monopoly.
- Unique Collectible Metal Game Tokens: The familiar game tokens that players use to navigate through the game board have been completely redesigned for Skylanders™ fans. Players may choose to use one of six collectible metal tokens — KAOS, Sheep, Cannon, Pirate Ship, Swords or Chompie — as they traverse the world of Monopoly®: Skylanders™.
- Boardwalk: Thumpback’s Thundering Tide Pool
- Park Place: Zap’s Lightning Race Track
- Green: Stealth Elf’s Ninja Dojo, Tree Rex’s Tree house, Stump Smash’s Nut Crackers
- Yellow: Chop Chop’s Boneyard, Cynder’s Haunted House, Eye Brawl’s Optometry
- Red: Eruptor’s Hot Springs, Hot Dog’s Lemonade Stand, Ignitor’s Medieval BBQ
- Orange: Trigger Happy’s Bank Vault, Drobot’s Oil Change, Bouncer’s Roboball Court
- Magenta: Spyro’s Chompy Diner, Pop Fizz Flavor Laboratory, Ninjini’s Bottle Shop
- Light Blue: Lightening Rod’s Cloud Gym, Jet-Vac’s Indoor Skydiving, Whirlwind’s Rainbow Lounge
- Brown: Terrafin’s Mud Spa, Crusher’s Home Improvement
- Railroads: Flynn’s Blimp Tours, Air-Pirate Express, Molekin Mine Train, Dread Yacht Delivery Service
- Comm. Chest: Treasure Chest
- Chance: Luck-O-Tron
- Electric Co: Core of Light Electric
- Waterworks: Drill-X’s Boxed Beats
- Income Tax: Auric’s Traveling Store Taxes
- Luxury Tax: Persephone’s Gem Shop
- Custom Money: Gold Coins
- Houses: Renamed as Huts
- Hotels: Renamed as Castles
- Dice: Traditional
- Tokens: KAOS, Sheep, Cannon, Pirate Ship, Swords, Chompie
My Take on the Game
We are a BIG gaming family! Not only am I talking about video games, but we have more board games than we know what to do with, and family game nights are both fun and sometimes a little competitive as any good game night can be. I became a fan of Skylanders when I first tried it out at the Time to Play Holiday Showcase that I attended a few years back. At this event Skylanders was just getting started and I simply wanted to stay at that table for much longer than I probably was supposed to.
I had the opportunity to try out and review the full version of the game when it came out in 2011 (http://dadofdivas.com/giveaway/blog-pop-christmas-wishes-bpopcw-skylandersgame-provides-interactive-fun-for-all-giveaway) and then a year later when they unveiled Skylanders Giants I wrote about it here too (http://dadofdivas.com/producteview/skylanders-giants-skylandersgame-adds-a-new-dimension-to-a-fun-game). So you can probably guess that my daughter and I jumped at the chance to try out this great videogame as a board game, and on top of that it was a board game that I always grew up loving!
In trying this game you get the same type of gameplay as you do with regular Monopoly, but completely branded for the Skylanders fan. The playing pieces are intricate (The ship was a bit wobbly on the board though) and we loved the names of the different board pieces. I also found the idea of auctioning off a game piece if another player does not want it to be novel and I was able to get a few really good pieces of property for amazing prices.
We also tried the rules for quicker gameplay, which took our game from unlimited time to only 1-1.5 hours which was more manageable. We had a blast with this game and know that we will continue to have fun with this in the future as well.
If you are already a Skylanders fan, then this is a must have, and if you are still learning about this great video game, but you love board games, Monopoly has done it right and this Skylanders themed Monopoly game is a blast and you and your whole family will have hours of fun playing it as my family already has too!
Please Subscribe to my RSS Feed! Subscribe in a reader
Questions?Drop me a line at email@example.com